The father of a teenage boy who died after taking a synthetic drug says he had never heard of the lethal substance until this tragedy.
Henry Kwan, 17, jumped off the balcony of his family’s Killara home on Wednesday night, while in a psychotic state induced by what he thought was LSD.
Today his father Stephen said the government needs to ban synthetic drugs.
“I am surprised they are still legal, it should not be the case,” Mr Kwan said.
“Until this happened to my son, I did not even know about synthetic drugs”.
It’s believed Henry purchased a tab of drugs from a school mate, who may have bought them over the Internet.
In a drug-induced psychosis on Wednesday night, Henry stripped naked then plunged from the top-floor balcony of his family’s north shore home in Sydney – because he “believed he could fly”.
A tragic story emerged of the final moments before the Year 12 Killara High student died just hours after ingesting a tab of what he thought was LSD – but was in fact a synthetic drug – which he bought from another teen, police said.
Last night, his devastated father Stephen Kwan said Henry had “confessed” to his mother that he had taken the drugs.
“He thought he could fly,” Mr Kwan said. “Whatever it did to him, he just kept saying he could fly. He was behaving very irrationally and strangely and my wife tried to stop him … she grabbed hold of him on the balcony but he was too strong.”
Just after 8pm, Henry fell from the third floor of the Killara Ave apartment block, in front of his helpless mother and younger sister. He died from massive head injuries.
Mr Kwan said it was the first time he had known Henry to touch drugs, with his son ordinarily very focused on school and study.
“I just don’t understand why he would take drugs, Henry would never do something like that, he wasn’t like that,” Mr Kwan said.
“He was such a smart boy, very good at school. He wanted to be a doctor or a lawyer, but mostly a doctor.”